Start your journaling journey
Hear how Intrinsic's very own Alija (who makes magic in our design + marketing team) uses journaling as part of her mindfulness and self-care routine.
Journaling is one of my favourite tools for self-discovery. It helps you unpack all the layers, emotions and thoughts that can build up in your mind. It's a way to dive deep and discover yourself, to become your own guiding light in life.
Taking that first step of putting pen to paper can be a little daunting, but one of the best things about journaling, is there is no right or wrong way to do it. You can journal at any time, as little or as much as you like - all you need is an open mind, a fave pen and a journal that you love. (I'm currently using the pen I signed my wedding certificate with and the Follow Your Heart A5 Journal )
Journaling helps me learn more about who I am, discover my deepest dreams, let go of limiting beliefs, live into the present moment, practise gratitude, change my mindset and work through grief.
The outcome of journaling is unique for each and every one of us, so my best advice is to have fun, play and enjoy the process of letting the magic unfold.
To help get you on your way, I have listed a few of my go-to journaling tips below.
Journaling prompts to kick start your self-discovery journey:
1. Today's 3 good things...
Paying attention to what's going right, gives us an extra dose of positivity.
* I love doing this regularly so I can look back and see all the wonderful things that have happened in my life.
2. What does my dream day look like?
Where are you? Who are you surrounded by? What do you do to bring joy to your day? How do you feel when your head hits the pillow at the end of the night? Describe each detail from start to finish.
* I like to pick one thing that comes up during this exercise and make it a reality, to bring me one step closer to my dream day.
3. Who am I most grateful for in my life and why?
Journal the unique qualities of the people around you, taking notice of the special things they do that lights up the world.
* Take this one step further and post them a little love note - you'll be a total day-maker.
4. The two most magical moments that I'll never forget in my life are…
Relive the moments and describe them in great detail. What makes them so magical?
* Being a visual person, I sometimes add a happy snap into my journal to help trigger my memory. Journaling these moments keeps the magic alive.
5. List 30 things (or more) that make you smile
It can be the little or the big things, like the smell of freshly cut grass or the memory of a special someone.
* I love doing this one and noticing how when my pen stops, I'm beaming with joy!
6. What am I most proud of?
At first, this question may seem a bit challenging, but let it sink in for a moment. We all have something to be proud of, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what pops up.
* Taking this activity off the page - lately I've been using this question to replace "how was your day?" chats with my husband and now ask "what did you do today that made you feel proud?" - it's a real conversation starter.
7. Clearing out the clutter
Write down all your thoughts as they pop up, don't filter them, just let them flow. This is a great way to release the inner dialogue, to-dos and worries from your mind, as it leaves you feeling calm and refreshed.
* Often my pages start with "I don't know what to write... what clutter do I have to clear... and then the flood gates open and before I know it, I have a page full of writing.
8. Using Intrinsic's Intuition Cards as a prompt
When I find myself stuck on what to journal, I focus my thoughts and pick out an Intuition Card and use that card as my prompt.
* Last week I picked out "by counting our haves our have nots disappear" and journaled all the things I have in my life. It was an instant mood booster!
We hope you loved reading Alija's tips for making journaling an important part of your mindful life. If you'd love to start your own journaling practice, we have a colourful journaling range to help your journey.